Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Mask

"Pay me, I'll be your surgeon
I'd like to pick your brain..."

~ Blue Oyster Cult

So here are some pics of the mask that was used for my Whole Brain Radiation treatments. The mask used for the earlier targeted SRS (Novalis) treatments was very similar only much tighter and more uncomfortable.

Either one beat the hell out of the older method which involved a "halo-like" device which they apparently bolted directly to your head. This method is still used in some places, I'm told though I can't imagine why.

The marks you see on the outside of the mask are used to make sure your noggin is in precisely the same position between treatments. As I've mentioned before, the treatments themselves were no big deal, especially the WBR.

Basically, they lay you on the table, put your head into the mask and then fasten the mask to the table. Then they use the marks to position you properly.

Then it's zap, zap, zap... and that's about all there is to it.











No comments: