Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution...

"If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung
Would you hear my voice come through the music
Would you hold it near as it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
I don't know, don't really care
Let there be songs to fill the air"
~ Hunter

I love rock lyrics, don't you?

Sure, a lot of it is crap and doggerel but there's plenty of good stuff too and maybe it's because I've spent my life listening to rock music, I can (and do) find some song quote to go with nearly any situation.

It's sort of like a reflex with me.. I hear people say things, read a line from a page in a book or have a certain thought and songs are launched in the radio that I carry in my head.

It might be an Alice Cooper song from 1972 or Phish from 1998 or even some annoying commercial jingle from 2007 - I guess what I'm trying t say is, I am and always have been deeply moved and motivated by music of all kinds.. though I will always be a rocker first and foremost.

Music heals me, soothes me and calms me. I can even be calmed, under the right circumstances, by something like a really noisy, hammering speed metal song - "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, maybe though I usualy gravitate to mellower stuff these days.

Sometimes I think everything will be ok as long as I never lose my music....

2 comments:

Zoooma said...

Ohhhh, you're almost right on the money... close but no see-gar. You see, we would all live better lives without ANNOYING tv commercial jingles!!!

And yeah, music soothes and calms but another thing is true -- it helps with confusion. I've even heard it sung... If You Get Confused Listen To The Music Play...

CroakerJoe said...

I guess what I meant was just that there is pretty much of a constant stream of music flowing through my brain at most all times, even if iy happens to be something I'd rather be without...

But when that happens, it's the perfect time to put on some Dead and, as you say, listen to the music play..