Tuesday, December 23, 2003

I can't understand what people are afraid of. I am agnostic but I have no problem at all saying MERRY CHRISTMAS to my Christian friends nor would I ever be offended when it is said to me.

As an unreligious person, I look at Christmas as a time to celebrate your family and loved ones through the ritual of gift giving and the other trappings of Christmas like trees, Santa and yes, even Jesus. (After all, it is he that the Holiday is based on, so yes, there are angels, and representations of him on our tree.) Many may see that as a contradiction, a cop out but to me it's simply an acknowledgement of the historical origins of the day. Because I have no problem with Christian based morals, it's just the supernatural side that I have trouble with.

Those who see Christmas as a religious event are more than welcome to do so.

I suspect that the athiests who raise a cry at the sight of a Nativity scene are not the athiests they think they are or why would this have any effect on them... Guilt, perhaps?

I look at such things simply as people celebrating their religion as is their absolute right in this country. Since this country is (still) primarily Christian, it is only right that such celebrations are on public display. This does not prevent those of alternate religions from displaying celebration of their own nor does it interfere with non-believers celebrating or not. I don't get it. Again, what, exactly are they afraid of?

Merry Christmas from your friendly neighborhood agnostic!

No comments: