Saturday, October 04, 2003

Ok, here we go.. This is mostly me trying to beat the writers block that I've suffered for the past, oh, 15 years or so?

There might be personal stuff in there.. there might be political stuff. I like to end my sentences with "..." . You'll see that a lot. I'm not sure why...

See, I have a life long love of literature. Ok, most of what I read, some folks would probably not call literature but, fuck them.

I decided when I was 18 or so that I wanted to be a writer. I wrote a LOT of stuff.. all the time. Most of it was crap. A lot of it was drug inspired. Some of it wasn't half bad.

I have always loved Science Fiction and Fantasy. I wanted to write SF first. I soon realized that I'm too uneducated to write SF.. I don't know shit about science and I'm too lazy to research. So, fantasy.. Swords, barbarians, magic... guys with made up names like "Tormad". I did better with this but one day I realized that almost everything I wrote in that genre was bordering on plagiarism.

That was the start of my writers block.

So then I started trying to come up with odd combinations of things, trying to be original. A Sword and Sorcery style story set in modern times. An SF story set in the old West.. Some of that stuff was pretty good.

One day I read through a lot of my work and it all seemed so trite, hackneyed and cliche' that I fell into despair and haven't been able to write a word since.

That sucked.

Here's some writers that I admire:

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (yeah, that damn commie)
Michael Moorcock
P.J. Farmer
Roger Zelazny (I miss you, Mr Z.)
Stephen King
Glen Cook (Yeah, I sort of stole my nick from his "Black Company" novels. So sue me.. er, no, wait.. please don't. It was done out of admiration. Everyone go buy his books and read them right now!)
Dan Simmons
George R.R. Martin (wtf does R.R. stand for and why do you have 2 middle names?)
Damon Knight

...well, that could go on a long while but those guys top my list..

Ok, I don't read much so-called "serious" literature. Maybe some day.

The other purpose of this blog is maybe some political or topical ramblings. I'm very confused politically and have never tried that kind of writing so we'll see how that goes. There sure as hell is plenty to talk about these days.

Maybe some music talk as well..

I'm going to try really hard to update this thing on a daily basis and to pretend that someone is actually reading it. Wish me luck!

No comments: